SOME IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT US…
- – Invest2Donate is a non-profit charity itself, and it exists solely to help donors, because we believe charity starts with donors.
- – We are privately funded, so that means we take nothing from donors or charities.
- – And we think the current way most people give to charities is broken!
- -There are 55,000 registered charities. This makes it hard to choose and therefore, hard to plan giving. It’s not easy to be pro-active. An easier way to choose good charities is required.
- -Donors become overwhelmed and wait until they are asked to give. This perpetuates more asking by charities, which frustrates donors. But much worse, asking is the most expensive way to give. The COSTS OF ASKING can in some cases chew up, on average, 40% of donations*, just to get the money to the front door of the charity…. money your charity has to pay to ask you to donate. And that does NOT include the charity’s own internal costs of operating. The Costs of Asking are high regardless of whether undertaken internally by a charity or outsourced to a commercial fundraising group.
- -Each charity has different giving options, different payment methods, and different platforms, often requiring donors to consolidate records themselves. And each time, donors need to re-enter personal details and sensitive payment details.
- -This is compounded by most donors giving one-off, not recurring, donations (Giving Australia Report 2016), resulting in charities incurring costs to continually re-ask. An easier way set up recurring donations is required.
Flexible Planned Giving is a pro-active, new way to give, where donors:
– plan donations ahead of being asked… saving charities the high costs of asking;
– give direct to the charities… avoiding unnecessary intermediary/platform costs; and
– give donations on a recurring basis… saving charities the costs of continually re-asking.
We make it easier to be a pro-active, Flexible Planned Giver, by helping you choose good charities and helping you transact recurring donations in the most efficient way possible, direct with the charities.
HERE’S HOW TO GET STARTED:
STEP 1: USE OUR DONATION PLANNER TOOL
- To make it easy to become a Flexible Planned Giver, you can download our free Donation Planner tool. It will help you identify your annual giving budget and allow you to allocate percentages to your chosen charities, showing how much of your giving budget you have left. It will even keep a handy record of your giving. And it’s completely confidential. By downloading our Donation Planner Tool, any information is on your computer only… not saved on a central data base or in the cloud… so you can be assured of confidentiality and privacy. Our Giving Guide explains everything you need to know how to use our Donation Planner.
STEP2: START SELECTING
If you know your charity or charities:
- Our Donation Planner Tool links you directly to a Google search page so you can locate your charity’s website and donate DIRECT using their” DONATE” tab … no middleman or other platform costs. REMEMBER TO SELECT REGULAR MONTHLY DONATIONS SO THE CHARITY DOESN’T INCUR COSTS OF CONTINUALLY RE-ASKING. (If regular giving is not available on their website, ring them).
If you need help to pick a good charity in a particular area of interest:
- A fellow non-profit, ChangePath, has conducted independent research and developed a simple and intuitive “click-selector” guide to the best Australian charities. And once you choose your charity, just click on it and you can link directly to its “Donate” tab from there. Try it, it’s fun… ChangePath
SO NOW YOU HAVE A CHOICE:
- wait to be asked by charities then donate, with a huge cost taken out to cover the high costs of asking campaigns (phone/mail etc.); or
- be pro-active and plan ahead and give recurring donations direct to charities’ website … saving charities the costs of asking & re-asking, and minimising intermediary/”middleman” costs.
*THE HIGH COSTS OF ASKING.
“Street fundraisers raised more than $120m for Australian charities, report reveals.” ABC News Article by Kevin Nguyen, 4 January, 2019. “…charities received an average return of $2.30 for every $1 invested into face-to-face fundraising last year. The calculations were gathered… by the PFRA- an industry body which represents major charities and fundraising groups.”
“Research into the Commission-based Charity Fundraising Industry in Australia.” Report by Frost & Sullivan for the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) Nov 2017. “The fundraising agencies are typically remunerated based on successfully signing up a new donor to give regular monthly donations to the charity they represent. This payment usually takes the form of a multiple of the monthly donation acquired by the fundraising agency, which can range between 8 to 17 times the monthly donation. Whilst this payment to the fundraising agencies is made up-front by the charities, usually once the contract with the individual donor is signed, clawback features in contracts with the fundraising agencies typically allow charities to recoup the payment in the event of early cancellation by the donor, usually within the first three months. Donor attrition is a common and accepted fact in the industry, with most charities expecting to lose approximately 50% of new regular donors acquired within the first 12 months.”
Details of Invest2Donate’s board and corporate structure are set out below:
Invest2Donate is a public company limited by guarantee.
It is a registered charity established to operate as a non-profit for the purpose of improving the Giving Environment for donors and charities.
The Directors and Members of Invest2Donate are:
Founding Director and CEO
John started his career in law, but it was in financial advising that he made his biggest impact.
In a 25 year career with one of Australia’s major financial services success stories, ipac, John was one of its most successful Certified Financial Planners. His clients included corporate executives, entrepreneurs, personal injury compensation victims, and Charities. At different stages in the ipac journey, John’s roles included General Manager Financial Planning, and Director.
INVEST2DONATE is where John’s considerable financial planning expertise crossover with his desire to build a sustainable, not-for-profit, new way of giving, capable of delivering leveraged benefits to the community.
Peter is a Chartered Accountant with 40 years’ experience, and has established a reputation as a reliable advisor and confidant to small, medium and large businesses, as well as people starting out in their careers.
He has been a long-serving Director of one of Australia’s leading furniture manufacturing businesses which has been family owned for 116 years. He is a Fellow of The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia and New Zealand. He has served as Chairman (Australian Chapter) of Alliott Pierson International, one of the world’s largest group of independent accountants and consultants.
Peter is an Accredited Mindshop Facilitator, and for over 15 years has advised several medium to large businesses in the areas of Business Planning, Succession Planning and strategic issues centred on Continuous Improvement, Waste Reduction and Profit Improvement.
Sean is an experienced senior executive with 20 years’ experience in managing risks, controls and governance in investment banking, equities derivatives and wealth management. His focus has been on delivering practical and workable solutions to business partners to minimise inherent operational and reputational risks.
Sean started his career at Price Waterhouse in Sydney and London. He then worked for HSBC in Sydney and then for Hambros Australia Ltd, Hambros’ local subsidiary. After Societe Generale acquired Hambros, Sean became the Asian Head of Compliance for the Investment Banking Division of Societe Generale, spending his later years in the Hong Kong office before returning to Australia in 2013.
With a diverse 25 year career across financial services and executive search, Michael brings a wealth of experience from management roles within major Global and Australian financial services firms from 1984 through to establishing and leading his own executive search practice in 1997.
As Managing Partner of global executive search firm, Alexander Hughes International, Michael runs an Asia Pac firm across financial services, natural resources and energy together with his north Asian colleagues based Hong Kong and Shanghai.
Prior to that, Michael worked with leading financial services groups Macquarie Investment Management Ltd, Prudential Fund Managers and Citigroup, where he led State and national sales teams servicing the financial advisory channel, and developed and marketed a range of retail and institutional investment funds across a broad range of asset classes.